Review: Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver

DeliriumA proper line for this book: “Well that escalated quickly”

Similar to the concept of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. If you love Uglies, than more power to you because I don’t. Good thing is that the writing style here is richer and better than Uglies. Moving on, similar concepts I noticed: the existence of the operation (ugly to pretty = diseased to cured) and obviously this wouldn’t be a called a Y.A. without (I call them the constant) best friend and boy friend.

They were able to touch different forms of love. I like the fact that they did not just stop or focus primarily on romantic love (which I was expecting) but were able to deal with the different forms of love including: family, friends, and self—that made it a little more appealing and realistic.

In few words, I can sum up the protagonist: hard-to-get and indecisive.

Every time someone tries to invite her, she ends up rejecting him or her. But later on she realizes ‘well I’m young so fuck it’ (not really) So she changes her mind and decides to go anyway—try repeating this cycle for approximately 3-5 times. I also hate it when the main character (especially if its a girl) doesn’t know what she wants since that makes her weak and vulnerable—this is becoming into an unhealthy routine for Y.A. characters. I do hope her character gets better throughout the trilogy.

The pacing in this story was inconsistent. Reading 80% of the book, I felt like I was waiting for something bad or tragic to happen. Then the other 20% felt too much. Everything happened all at once. The character of the police or government (whatever you call them) was not established as much. Their power and control over the people were not shown or demonstrated properly. Then all of a sudden, towards the end of the book, they were paying serious attention. That part was very problematic and questionable. I just had a hard time believing it.

The ending..

Actual Rating: ✰✰✰

Do I like it: It’s fine, nothing special

Recommended: To people who belittle the value of love

(Fullybooked, Mass Paperback, P 349)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s